Friday 26 November 2010

W/C - Monday 26th November - Editing

Editing: W/C 26th November

Monday 26th November: Period 1 + 2 (Media Lesson), Period 4 + 5 (Study Periods)

Today we started editing our final project for the "rough edit". Although it was a tricky process cutting shots in to the correct places and syncing Sophie's singing to the track, Me and Josh made a start. We had the prologue sorted because that was completed a few weeks ago. This was completed because it was a straight forward long take and a few establishing shots. Sophie and Tom were absent from this lesson because of a family illness, however I though it was best to edit without them because throughout this project our time management hadn't been great, and seeing as though we had to re-film sections, our plan was put back a week, therefore I thought we couldn't lose any more hours, not being efficient. I spent the afternoon attempting to add to the progress we had made this morning, however the system was very slow and kept freezing.

Tuesday 22nd November - Period 3, 4 + 5 (Study Periods)

Last week, Josh put together the first initial shots together of Sophie on the bench, however long takes were used to just test the "black and white" colour on our video. However, because this looked very "boring" and due to the fact we had other camera angles of the same shot, I decided to change it to make it more interesting for an audience member to watch. I used straight cuts during this process so that we stayed conventional to chart music videos. As we inserted the new clips, which we filmed last week in to Adobe, the system crashed and froze. It said at the top of the screen "Not responding" therefore we couldn't continue. We then discovered that the format of the files which we filmed were different to the others and required a much faster processor. Josh spent lunchtime converting the files to a manageable format and cut them whilst I inserted the completed converted ones in to the document and cropped them to fit our video. During period 4 + 5, after we had left the original document open, I edited with Josh's opinions at certain points. We inserted the transition shots in to the first bridge and chorus and ended the day after we had completed the first chorus.

Wednesday 23rd November - Period 1 + 2 (Study Periods) + After School - 2.55PM - 5.00PM

This morning, I came in to continue with the editing work. Josh came during period 2. I continued on to the second verse, cutting between the new wall shots and mannequin shots. This process was very time consuming because I had to listen to the track very closely to match the lip syncing. The computer that I was on wasn't producing the accurate sound therefore I had to move to the main computer with the room speakers. I did this so I could ensure the lip syncing was perfect. After the second chorus I moved on through the video to the slow bridge in the middle and tried to figure out the ending to try and increase the climax to match the songs tempo. The bridge was fairly straight forward to edit because I wanted a long take, so that the audience have time to empathise with the character, as she shows different layers to her personality. After having completed the ending I showed some peers in the other A2 media class and they offered certain ideas but mainly said that the idea of reversing the corset short and fast fades worked well. Due to it being break, I stopped and thought I would leave Tom and Sophie in charge, during period 3, of the second chorus and the instrumental in between the bridge the middle section. I returned at lunch to find that nothing had been continued because it froze, which it shouldn't have done. Therefore we made a group decision to stay after school to make up the time and try and finish it.

After school Josh edited whilst we all offered ideas and opinions from the front, because it was shown on the big screen. This worked well and increased the teamwork effort in our group. I showed everyone the sections I had done, earlier in the week and they liked them. After this after school session, the rough draft of the music video had been completed. This was very rewarding and we were happy with the finished product. It was very handy to have people's opinions in the after school section because whilst I was on my own I felt as if I was doing it on my own, without my groups approval, however it had to be finished and there wasn't enough time where we were all off.

I would say that I have had a big input in the editing process, just because I came in and edited independently sometimes because we had lost time further back in the weeks, because of inset days, computers not responding and I wasn't going to use that as an excuse, for it being late. It was nice to have an major input in the editing process just because I wasn't so "hands on" in the filming, in terms of holding the camera. But I am very proud of the shot and edits so hopefully, the editing choices I made will increase the audience interaction the engagement.

No comments:

Post a Comment